- Determine who holds the copyright.
- Use College letterhead and return address; include 2 copies and a Stamped Self-Addressed Envelope.
- Be specific about how you intend to use the material.
- Confirm any permission given over the phone in writing.
- For publishers, send letter to Permissions Department of publisher. Their addresses can be found in these books in the Library: Writer's Market (REF PN 161 .W83 2002) and Literary Market Place (REF PN 151 .L5 2001) or check the Internet.
- Check the original for e-mail addresses for the author or illustrator. Author addresses may also be available on the Internet or in directories in the Library.
- E-mail and phone permission are acceptable but best practice is to confirm in writing.
Sample Permission Letters are at these websites: